Thread: Photo Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Craig, to most of us this seems obvious, but not to all. If you have been reading the 'Brooklyn cdv' thread, you'll see that there are many collectors in our hobby who were satisfied when a $40-50K photo had simply been slabbed by SGC. They had no additional questions to ask and were enraged that anyone else did. The whole point of slabbing a photo (or anything else) seems to be to allow the potential buyer to give their own brains a rest.

"The whole point of slabbing a photo (or anything else) seems to be to allow the potential buyer to give their own brains a rest." Scott, that is definitely a problem and frankly, I don't quite understand it although, as you correctly point out, it does also appear to be the case in other segments of the hobby, i.e., cards, autographs, etc.

I realize that it may be slightly easier for me (because of my limited and rather narrow collecting focus) but even in my case I have had to put in a great deal of time doing the necessary "homework" to feel confident in my purchases. At least for me, slowly acquiring this knowledge has enhanced my appreciation of what I have obtained and is an essential component of my total enjoyment of what I collect.