View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Michael Steele

Wow, this thread was bumped tonight from a year back it seems.

Al, nice post on your Red Sox memories. For me, my connection back to the "dead ball" era was a chance meeting as a young man back in the early 80's or so at a card show in Boston (I am sure it was the GBSC show) and while looking for 50's and 60's Topps and Bowmans, we (myself, my Dad and Uncle) noticed an older gentleman in the autograph area getting little attention.

To make a long story short, the gentleman was Smokey Joe Wood and we spent a good half hour talking to him. He had all of his scrap-books from his playing days and was a joy to talk to. I was young and I know I would probably appreciate that meeting more now but I remember it and remember what a gentleman he was and that helped me connect to that era.

I also had a great Uncle who was an usher at Fenway from the 20's to the 50's who would tell me first hand stories from those days including being present at Fenway during the Ruth and Championship era from 1915-18. But mostly it was that half hour or so with Smokey Joe that really helps me connect.