View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Default (2) New Catalog Additions, Louis Sockalexis

Many of you know that I collect Louis Sockalexis memorabilia and have for years. I usually only add an item or two per year but was lucky enough to acquire two new items this month, both of which are previously uncataloged items.

First is an early season 1897 pinback featuring Louis Sockalexis. Although not listed, it was found in the Cleveland area so it can almost certainly be dated to the Spring of 1897 when Sockalexis fever took over Cleveland and this was almost certainly a regional maker. It is only the second example to documented in the hobby (I dont think the other known example has ever traded hands publicly) and predates the Cameo Pepsin Baseball Pinback set. So it is not only a rare Sockalexis item but is the first pin of a baseball player (individual) that I know of. It measures 1.5 inches and has a pewter rim as well as an unusual mechanism on the back.

Second is a Real Photo postcard of Louis Sockalexis' brother Andrew Sockalexis who was a famous Marathon Runner and Athlete. What makes this special is that it was made by the Louis Orr Co. of Old Town Maine and now confirms that the famous postcard made by Orr of Louis Sockalexis was actually a (2) card set made of the famous brothers and not just a postcard made of the Baseball Star.

Anyways, I know there are a lot of other Sockalexis fans out there that might want to see the newly discovered items and at the very least they can be added to the card/memorabilia price guides.

Rhys Yeakley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sockalexis.jpg (31.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg sockalexis2.jpg (59.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg sockalexisandrew.jpg (78.8 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg sockalexisandrew2.jpg (86.4 KB, 294 views)