View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmier118 View Post
I did have to pay up for them though, but overall I didn't think it was too bad. From my short time watching for them I was surprised at how many lansford's showed up, and thought that conerly, stydahar, and Ronzani were more elusive. I guess Lansford could just get listed more often because of its reputation.
It is a myth that Lansford is more difficult to find in higher grade than the other SPs in this set. In fact, the entire concept in the hobby that the first and last cards in a set are found in lower quality is a myth perpetuated by the price guides. There is no evidence this is true at all. Stydahar and Ronzani were a BEAR to find and their prices were high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmier118 View Post
I like how this set has a great mix of rc's and veterans, I find it amazing that most sports fans know baseballs HOF'ers of the era like Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Mantle, but when I ask my friends if they know who Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh are I just get blank a blank stare. They for sure don't know Hugh Mcelhenny or Steve Van Buren. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoy this set, 1935 chicle and 1894 Mayo, these are the sets that have helped me learn about the pioneers of the game and I find their history to be amazing.
I love the history of the game too, Mike! It is frustrating how little the NFL seems to care about the history of the game. MLB does a much better job glorifying its past and propping up its stars from previous eras. For the NFL, if it happened before Super Bowl I, it's like it never happened at all.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 08-30-2017 at 04:40 AM.