View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Grade-worthy cards: Mantle, Koufax, Aaron, Mays, Ted Williams, Musial, Jackie Robinson, any HOF RC from the 1950s-1960s. Your ability to sell will be enhanced if you grade them even in lesser grades. Beaters even sell from these guys.

Not worth grading: commons (except 52 Topps 311-407), anything not listed above in less than stellar condition (and if you have a question about it, yes, it is in less than stellar condition).

Maybe worth grading: regionals (Bell, Kahn's, Wilson, etc.). Really depends on the player and condition.

I'd consider the auctions here on the BST thread. With nice scans it is a great way to get a read on the market for a card.

You might consider consigning to an AH that handles less than minty cards. Sterling Auctions (member here) has a niche doing smaller stuff. The key is not to be forced into massive lots for dealers to buy and break; you might as well just sell to a dealer and cut out the middleman.

Some eBay seller operate on a consignment basis. Check around. PWCC and Probstein are big but there are numerous allegations of shill bidding and poor consignor treatment on this board from those two, so beware. David Bryant (davidbvintage on eBay) does consignment sales and no one has anything but good stuff to say about him, myself included. Depending on where you are, there are also likely board members near you who might be interested in buying a big lot of cards from you directly.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...