View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default How does one get their sons into collectiing?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I would take my son with me to the local card shop when he was 3-4...of course he only wanted to buy Pokemon cards with the $5 I would give him every time we went...I could not talk him into spending the $5 on an entire box of 1990 Fleer baseball, he had to have that ONE pack of Pokemon cards....until one day he just woke up and said he wanted to collect baseball cards. That was only about 5-6 months ago..he is now 6YO. He has his own binder where he only puts Yankee cards in it...we went through the many thousands of 1970-90s baseball cards I had packed away years ago and picked out all the Yanks.

When he was born I started buying a Topps factory set for him every year for Christmas and he now has the 2001-2006 sets...he has stated that he wants to put the sets together and in binders, but we just haven't found the time yet....he also goes for weeks at a time showing no interest at all, and then he just picks it back up.

Our plans for the near future are to put as many of the 1950-70s Topps sets together in binders by buying lots on ebay and filling holes...the cards don't have to be mint as it's more about putting the sets together and learning about the players than it is about investment.