View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

I was too small when Lindros playing for Oshawa. I have always wanted to see his Oshawa games and I even contacted the Generals to see if they had any in their archives, but nope, nothing.
Like I mentioned, I never missed a game, including his home opener/debut.
Like this vid, there are many you can watch via youtube. Just scroll down the right side and you will see for yourself. Likely not all that you are after, but still some pretty good clips there. I regret never saving any of my tickets. Not that they are likely worth anything, I just wish I had some, especially his home opener/debut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W4YfbXkzWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
Irv,

Enjoyed very much reading your Bobby Orr posts. I wonder how many people down here in the US realize that these kids in Canada leave home at the young age they do to play Major Junior. That's what it means to be a national pastime. On my bucket list is a trans Canada trip via rail to catch as many games as possible in a two week period or so of the WHL and OHL. Might try my hand at the QMJHL also, but my French is non-existent. Some day I hope.
My Boss's brother, from Stirling Ont, (not far from Cobourg/Belleville) was drafted by the Soo St. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL but didn't go because of the huge change/undertaking that was involved with such a move.
It entails not only moving far far away from home, but also living with billets, going to a new school, making new friends, etc, etc.
It is not an easy thing to do for a 15-16 yr old let alone an adult, but that's what takes if you want to continue on with the NHL dream.

I currently work with John Goodwin. He was the OHL scoring leader for the Soo Greyhounds and was drafted by the Montreal CDN's. Despite his scoring prowess/skill, he never did crack their lineup and eventually, after trying a few other different avenues, packed it in, unfortunately.
http://www.saultstar.com/2013/03/07/...1980-81-season

I also have a friend, Brian Heard, who's son, Mitch was drafted 41st overall but hasn't played in one NHL game yet.
It is tough! From the early days at the rink at a very young age, to numerous amounts of travel, practices, camps, tournaments, etc, etc and to be never called up or make the big team, is a huge disappointment, but most adults/kids know this is a possibility but in order to live their dream, this is what it takes.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=122869

(Some miscellaneous pics of my son below and some other pics of my son with Bryan Bickell with the Stanley Cup he won with the Chicago Blackhawks and a couple others with Andrew Shaw formerly from the Hawks but now with Montreal. He actually got to play a game of shinny with Andrew! )

Your bucket list item sounds like a great one, 58 Pinson! Something I wouldn't mind doing myself someday.
I have traveled far and wide with my son's hockey but we have never been to Quebec to play. I speak about as much French as you but I still think that would be fun.
He is now only playing house league and High School hockey so my travelling days are likely far behind me, but despite how busy it was, it was also a lot of fun.

Glad you enjoy my Orr story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0820 (Large).jpg (69.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1112a (Medium).JPG (63.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Walker's Rep A Hockey pic (Large).jpg (63.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg V__1CDB.jpg (52.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1140.jpg (72.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1142.jpg (74.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0900 (Large).JPG (64.9 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by irv; 06-17-2017 at 04:03 PM.