View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM
D@v3 W@u9h

Best - Patrick Roy - A couple of times my buddy and I drove into Boston to the hotel where visiting teams usually stayed (baseball and hockey at least). Roy came down to the lobby and was engulfed by other autograph hounds. While he graciously obliged everyone we stayed away to be on the lookout for other players who might come down and try to slip by while the crowd was occupied. We were both working on signed 1990-91 Upper Deck sets and knew there were tougher sigs than his that we needed. I'm sure we got someone but don't remember who. But I knew I was gambling that I might miss out by not standing in line for one of my idols, Roy. Anyway, about an hour later he returned, carrying a bag with several boxes of golf balls from a local golf store. As he approached, I politely asked if he would sign a few cards for my set and held out the cards and a Sharpie. He said sure, and had me hold the golf balls while he signed. While he signed I joked about him coming all the way from Canada to Mass. just to buy golf balls. We chatted a bit about golf. When the cards were dry I put them back into the stack I was carrying and he spotted some more of his cards that I'd brought. Having seen how many he'd signed on his way out I didn't want to look greedy and so had only dared ask about the ones I needed for my set. He said "Are those more of me? I'll sign them." I had about 12 more cards and told him so. He replied that that was OK and he signed them all! A great experience I remember vividly to this day. I haven't collected autographs in like 20 years but hockey players were usually FAR more gracious than baseball players regrading fan appreciation.

Best - Dwight Evans - My favorite Sox player. A diehard fan since about 1977. While he was a player he didn't make many show appearances, but did do one locally in the late 1980s, the only chance I've ever had to meet him. I brought with me a game used bat and a portrait I'd done of him. I'd met several players before but for some reason I was really nervous meeting him. When I presented the drawing I thought for sure he'd love it. He hesitated, looking at it for a minute. Then he asked, "did you do this?". I answered yes, I had. "There's too much gray in my hair." I nearly crapped my pants thinking he was being critical but then I looked up from the drawing and saw he was smiling and only joking with me, which put me right at ease. I replied that it must have been just the way the light was hitting his hair. He complimented me on the likeness and then even asked where I'd like him to sign it. Said he felt bad signing over the actual drawing. Shook my hand and thanked ME! Still have the drawing.

Worst - Ted Williams - A has been well documented he was a pompous curmudgeon. Gigantic letdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evans.jpg (40.7 KB, 637 views)
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)