Thread: Kreindleritis
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

A couple of people have contacted me (and apparently some other board members) to ask about the pricing and processes of the commissions we take on. So, I thought I'd try to lay down some info in case anyone else was interested.

Regarding prices, well they only relate to sizes right now, not at all with complexity or player. With that in mind, we have basically three tiers of possible sizes. On the small end, these are the set numbers:

9" x 12"s are $2400
11" x 14"s are $2600
12" x 16"s are $2800
16" x 20"s (the size of Lordstan's Gehrig) are $3000

Once you get to 18" x 24", you're in the medium sized range of prices. Those paintings end up being $8.50 a square inch. So, an 18" x 24" would cost $3672, or a 22" x 30" would cost $5610. Jacksons Matty painting, at 26" x 36" would be $7956.

The larger size range starts at 30" x 40", and those end up being $8.00 a square inch. So, a 30" x 40" would be $9600, or a 38" x 52" would be $15808.

Right now, the wait time that Dean (my agent) has been telling people has been about two years. Depending on the size and/or complexity of the piece, it might be done sooner, as I seem to be able to knock out the simple portraits in less time.

Regarding payment, our policy is a 1/3 non-refundable deposit down, the next 1/3 for when I'm about halfway done with the painting, and the last 1/3 upon completion. Also, there would be an extra charge for crating and shipping, unless of course you were able to come pick the painting up from either Bronxville, NY or Brooklyn, NY. I'm not exactly sure how much that part of it costs in the end, but since Dean uses practically bomb-proof packaging, I'm pretty sure it runs in the range of the mid-hundreds. Either way, I can certainly get you a better idea if need be.

Now, Dean is really flexible with payment schedules if they are so desired. In other words, he's often taken a small deposit of a couple of hundred dollars just to reserve a spot in the queue. Or, sometimes he allows the payments to be broken up into monthly installments. I guess whatever your situation is, he's more than happy to make it work. Additionally, as a point of interest, Dean raises these prices about twice a year (he just raised them about a month ago), so sending in an initial deposit locks you in on that rate for that particular painting. To learn more about all of that stuff, it's definitely worth contacting Dean.

Speaking of contacting, well, if you have any further questions for me, feel free to throw a private message my way, or email me at gkreindler@gmail.com. Or, if you want to go straight to Dean, he can be reached at 914.779.7979 or through baseball@objects-images.com.

Thanks so much for the interest in my work, guys - it's very much appreciated.

Graig