View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Baseball cards try a man's soul. Case in point...

1966mays1971aaron.jpg

At a show today, I saw this 1966 Mays and it looked, in the dim light of the venue, what most would call pack fresh. Really beautiful, despite being OC. However, the left side looked a little odd, so I laid it atop of a new card and saw it was a bit miscut, as part of it bubbled out further than it should, making it a tiny bit larger than it should be (the entire side except for the very middle). I figured I could easily live with that, especially with how much these #1 cards go for in mid-grades. After negotiating with the seller, I grabbed it for a 'great' price. That's the ecstasy. Now for the agony. After getting home, I really began examining it and BOOM!!!, when tilted in the light I saw there's a small wave on it, a thin wrinkle that seemingly only appears at surface/gloss level, not in any way going through to the other side, Freaking A!!!!!!!!!!!! My cheers turned to tears.

Edited to add:
Since a couple of people inquired, here are a couple of pics...

This sadly shows the wrinkle in the light...

1966mayswrinklelight1.jpg

And this shows how much wider the card is compared to a standard sized 'modern' card (check out the white of the Mays towering above the Molina card)...

1966mayswrinklebackcomparison1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 06-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.