View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default High grade cards are undervalued

Posted By: John

Really if that’s the case David then I’ll ask you to explain this?

Aug. 2000 Auction final price $16,016.05 without (15%) buyer’s premium.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=42254

Cant be a bunch of PSA 10’s haunting the so-called population report right? Supply vs. Demand way off the scale right, 5 yrs to mature the investment of the card above right. So why the hit?

You say it’s not a HOF player and high-grade commons can be all over the place. Ok I’ve heard that one too then explain why this card has only increased in value in over 5 yrs by an amazing $476.00?

Aug 2000 Auction final price $40,250.00 without (15%) buyer’s premium.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=48949&CurrentRow=1

5 years to make $476 on a $40,250 investment doesn’t sound too good to me.
I take it back it did have a 2% increase thanks to Mastro raising the buyers premium.

“I can go on and on with my argument but will stop here and state lastly that contrary to what I read on this board I believe that those paying so called exorbitant prices for high grade cards are indeed the 'smart money'.”

David, if the gentleman above bought the cards for a cash return and used the 2 above as an investment tool. Then I think its safe to say that a total investment in Aug 2000 of $64,705.95 for a return of $56,200.90 in 2005 resulting in a loss of $8505.05 in 5yrs isn’t smart money, but more of a I should wear a padded helmet around the house kind of money.

If however these gentlemen bought these cards because they love the hobby have the cash to do so, and could care less about a loss. They just wanted to say rent them for a while. Then there’s not much one can say other than I guess its good to be them.

You guys crack me up; every slab head here spouts all sorts of fancy phrases (Supply vs. Demand, population vs. scarcity, market trends) if all this stuff was true then things like that above wouldn’t and couldn’t happen right?

And Hal a lot of nice cards remain in “old time” collections because these people don’t care about PSA, SGC or any of them. That’s why they haven’t spent thousands slabbing their cards, not because they’re afraid of what they might find out about their collections. They haven’t slabbed because they don’t care, and their items aren’t for sale until most of them are dead sad to say.