View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Default There's No CardBoard Like Old Cardboard

Posted By: Fred C

It was all about timing in the late 80s and early 90s. Get in, get out and try to predict the next hot product or card. I remember buying close out 1984 wax football cases for $125 a case (8 of them) because of the Marino, Elway and Dickerson rookies. This is right when the rookie card craze started for baseball cards. I remember when people were trying to get $2 for the '84 Topps Mattingly rookies and thinking everyone was nuts but hey, why not play the game. I dumped the last of the 84T wax football for $1600 a case and I could have sold more if I had more of them. I was never into that rookie card crap, to me I liked reading the stats of the players at the end of their careers. I liked those '76 Aaron cards with that huge HR total on the back.

People can't seem to give away the cards from the 80s or 90s now. The sad part is that a lot of people got turned off when they saw the value of the cards go down so drastically. It soured a whole generation on baseball cards. However, there were a few that stuck around and are now part of this vintage collecting crowd. Heck, I don't even know what's being sold these days.