View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Giovanni,

That is a great project and I hope you complete it as is possible. I am sure the debuts each year make it a challenge, especially with so many players not signing index cards and players jumping up to the majors then back to the minors. As one of the others mentioned TTM is really great, especially with some of the responses. I used to do it for baseball players and now I do it for Olympians. The few address lists out there are more focused on medal winners and famous athletes. Think of trying to collect only those who played in the World Series or the All Star Game. Your project would be much, much easier.

I take the same approach with Olympians. I am interested in any and all no matter what they did in the games. Gold medal or 74th in the marathon, track and field or team handball, it does not matter as long as they competed. As such I track down a lot of athletes that are not on Harvey Meiselman’s or C.J. Aponte’s (the creator of the first Olympic address list copied by Harvey) address lists. The responses are great. I get nice notes, pins, postcards, photos, business cards and other items. Some even provide phone numbers and ask me to call them if I need anything else. One Olympian/retired police officer tracked down my unlisted phone number and called me to thank me for writing him.

All of those responses are wonderful, but the attached image of an index card I received from a 1948 athlete blew me away. He has not been asked for his autograph in 64 years! This is not a case where he does not respond to requests; he has not been asked since he competed in London. I could not imagine a baseball player or for that matter basketball, football or hockey player going that long without being asked with all of the collectors in those sports. Just thought I would share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barten.jpg (65.5 KB, 64 views)