View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 02:35 PM
Tony Ooten

always enjoy these threads, so I'll add my two cents.

Summary: Most likely answer is standing pat. Although I woudn't be surprised if I took the plunge and continued paring down my collection.

Long version:
after collecting as a kid in the 70's thru my early 30's in the 1990s just "buying packs of what ever was in season", I re-entered the hobby in 2009 and discovered net54 shortly after. I spent 8 years building a very solid low grade collection including t206/520, 33 goudey minus 1 gehrig and lajoie, 52 bowman, 73 topps sets, an over 300 card prewar type collection with 100 types and at least one of each hof player in the majors, over 100 diff e-cards, 170 diff t205, 40 diff t207, a post war collection of all hof players 48 thru 89 topps, bowman, fleer, donruss, upper deck, score (minus 52 t Mathews and 67 seaver). Had a great time building that collection.

2017 saw some life changes and by 2018 i decided to start selling. Been at it since then. I chipped away slowly using the BST and eBay and recently facebook groups. At each stage I evaluated my collection and kept my favorites, selling those that didn't make the cut. Been thru several cycles like that. Of course each time it was harder to choose. I haven't had any fire sales, not thrown any away, and am always happy when my cards go to collectors.

When I decide to sell a batch of pre-war or vintage, they usually go pretty fast. In the meantime I've got a lot of 80's & 90's cards on ebay on their 8 week cycle and I lower them 25% everytime a new 8 weeks starts. It's been a steady trickle selling and there haven't been many weeks go by that I haven't placed some cards in PWE's and sent them to a new home. Still have a bunch of cards listed on ebay (about 4500, mostly in lots of 9), but that whole effort is on auto-pilot now.

I think I've enjoyed sorting and selling as much as I enjoyed collecting.

I'm currently at another point in the sell-off where, if I continue, I need to decide which cards are next. On the other hand I've met a few selling goals I set for myself back in 2018, one of which is: I'm running low on all the padded mailers I saved from purchases over the years, so I could very well be finished with the sales.

anyway, after a too-long background story, I'll answer the OP question: "Tell us where you see your collection heading in 2024?"

Most likely answer is standing pat. Although I woudn't be surprised if I took the plunge and continued paring down my collection.

Last edited by tonyo; 12-13-2023 at 04:40 PM.