View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great stuff, David!

"I don't want to": People forget the power of "no." That's what anyone with a 'standard form contract' counts on. There is a great sci-fi story "And Then There Were None" by Eric Frank Russell where the core value of the planet in question is "Freedom-I won't", which is used to undermine the wannabe military invaders from earth. Though it can bite you in the behind sometimes. I had one client who got a deposit for some efx work on a film, the job cancelled, and he asked if he could keep the deposit. I asked whether the contract said it was non-refundable, he said no, so I told him to give it back. His response: "I don't want to." He got sued.

Also 1,000% agree on rude people. I'd rather not deal than deal with an a-hole. Life's too short for that.

As for undercutting the lowest price, that happens so frequently that I tell my clients in negotiations never, ever issue a final figure unless you are ready to go to court if it is not met. Blows your credibility to smithereens if you issue an ultimatum and then you move from it. I had another case where the opposing counsel wrote me a letter [four pages worth; Hollywood...] stating that his client would never pay a dime, never, ever, ever, no negotiations, etc. I called him up and asked whether he was authorized to accept service of process on behalf of his client. His response: Well, aren't you going to negotiate? I said no, you wrote no negotiations, and I am accepting your statement at face value. Made for a very awkward moment for him.

I heard one great smartass reply to what's your lowest price: What's your highest price?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.