View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 07:31 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Where do you think I am incorrect, with my facts or logic? Ad hominem is always a poor retort.
Ad hominem may be a poor retort, but an argument from incredulity isn't exactly dispositive because it makes no attempt to engage with the actual scientific evidence and, to a certain extent, ignores basic math.

Having spent my younger years in the creation vs evolution debate, I am generally loath to engage with science deniers. But, I would point out two things relative to your comment that "it's only 1 or 2 degrees."

First, that is an average temperature over the course of a full year. To use an oversimplified example, the average summer temperature of 25C (77F) and winter temperature of 5C (41F) yields the same annual temperature as 35C (95F) and -5C (23F). To a certain degree, this example can help understand the shift in language from "global warming" to "climate change." While global warming is technically correct since global averages are increasing, the use of climate change more accurately captures that climate is getting more extreme at both ends of the spectrum.

Second, the difference between average temperatures today and at the end of the last ice age is estimated to be 4-5 degrees C, which is also a small number. No big whoop, right?

And to get us back on subject, it is brass monkey weather here in central Oklahoma. The horses are going stir crazy after being stalled for the last 36 hours and they have another 24 hours to go before they get turned out.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 12-23-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spelling