View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Garth Guibord

More to consider...

For team sets, I had to decide what (if any) variations I would collect within the team sets. Those can range from the red/black backs of the 1952 Topps to the green tint 62 Topps and all the way into the past 15-20 years, when Topps has produced a wide range of SP/SSP variations. Some of those can get spendy, too.
I'm gunning for the variations, as they do provide those "chase" cards that can be fun and challenging. That said, I'm not necessarily going to get EVERY variation. For instance, I see the cost as prohibitive to go after every 2013 "Boston Strong" variation for the Red Sox team. I have one, which sits pretty well with me. And there are some that I may never land, like the Mookie Betts 2016 Topps Update variation with him in the back of a truck (silly card, really), mostly because an SSP like that doesn't come to market often and it commands a few hundred dollars.
Here is a pic of some variation cards I've got, along with my 1962 Venezuelans (which are really a separate set, but this is a pre-1980 post, so I had to have something appropriate)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 T Venezuelas.jpg (76.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Red Sox SPs.jpg (77.7 KB, 55 views)