View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 07:13 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default There Isn't Yet a Vintage T206 Wagner of Soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
The Jose Nasazzi rookie card?
I don't think this card is the T206 Wagner of soccer. I actually think Nasazzi is the caliber of player that could have a card with this honor, but I can't think of a card of his that would fit the bill.

For a card to be the T206 Wagner of soccer, it has to be well known by everyone and on everyone's want list. I can't think of any vintage soccer cards (anything pre-1950) that are well enough known by all soccer collectors to make the list. There are some cool rookies out there of star players that are a bit more known, but none that is that well known.

I think the argument for a Pele rookie to be the Wagner of soccer has merits, but I can see that it is more of the 52 Topps Mantle of soccer argument as well, since it's in the same era.

I think a card could bubble up someday that becomes the Wagner of soccer for vintage, where it gets discussed and publicized in media and then over time gets added to all collector's lists. But I think that the vintage soccer hobby is still in its infancy and it might be decades before a card takes that honor.

By the way Al, is there only one 1913 - 14 Taddy Meredith?