View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Here's my Green Cobb with scratch marking right thru the PIEDMONT lettering. Are their any other such similar plate scratch markings ?
And, of what relevance does this mark have with respect to the others ? ?

TED Z
Very nice card! I may have a scan of that one.

The same scratch can be found on Goode, and possibly others. Pat has his more organized than the scans I have.

So we can tell that Goode and Cobb green probably weren't on the same sheet, or at least were in different spots if they were on multiple sheets.
Hahn has a scratch that is similar and looks like it would be not the next column over, but the second to the right of Goode/Cobb.

It's really like a big jigsaw puzzle, we just don't have the picture on the box to go by.

With multiple subjects showing the same scratch we can also begin to get an idea how many sheets were used. I think the biggest number with identical scratches is 3 or 4, so there were at least that many different sheets. If it stays at 4, that makes a sheet with between 35 and 40 subjects more likely.

It's also entirely possible that the issue is complicated by there being two P150 plates that were both damaged. There's a couple loose groups of damage that don't appear to be equally common, but it's way too early to consider it to be more than just a possibility.

Steve B