View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Ciaran

Net worth in cards = 0% as I've no cards worth talking about.

Net worth in memorabilia which is primarily match worn vintage soccer shirts + vintage baseball / soccer photos = not certain. Value would be less than 10% of net worth. That said, my spending on memorabilia in any given year would represent considerably more than 10% of my discretionary spending.

I view memorabilia as an investment of sorts (and it clearly is) but am guarded in this. Partly because, for me, my memorabilia purchases are usually in part emotion-driven (that's why most of us collect what we do after all). Also because memorabilia is less liquid than most investments (maybe different for T206s and very collectible cards etc but generally speaking)

More importantly, the buy / sell spread of memorabilia can be very high, esp. if you are buying / selling in an auction environment i.e. consider buying Item A from a well known auction house and looking to sell it in the same auction house in 5 years time. It would need to have appreciated considerably for you to receive back your original outlay and that's not taking into account the effects of inflation in eroding the value of money.