View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default ??? Trimmed cards

Posted By: T206Collector

"we all listen (and know) your opinion regarding psa vs. sgc."

Yes, I do take the opportunity, don't I?

"first of all, having a t206 set is quite an acomplishment. congrats again."

Thanks!

"is your set sgc graded? do you have psa crads in your set?"

50% of my set is SGC graded, and I have about 15 PSA cards in my set that I am waiting to cross over to SGC the next time they come near me.

"i assume (and yes i am assuming) that you would profit financially if sgc were to overtake psa in market share, especially on t206's. the reason i make this assumption is your constant psa bashing....virtually each and every time this issue comes up."

Well, if my entire collection was in PSA holders, I would be stupid for two reasons for bashing them -- (1) that would not be profitable, true; but, more importantly (2) why would I keep my holders in PSA holders if I disliked the company? I wouldn't, I didn't, and now I don't.

"PSA's motives are so questionable. What is psa's underlying motive?"

The Harris Collection cards were a big production for PSA. They earned quite a bit of publicity by grading those cards as high as they did. It is only natural to question whether they encapsulated sharp, but trimmed, cards. I am not speaking from experience on the Harris Cards, but I am speaking from experience about crossed over PSA cards graded 5 and 6 that got bounced by SGC as a result of creases and trimming.

"is it any different than sgc?"

Mmm, no, not in terms of profit making. But I think they are less about turning a fast buck and more about customer satisfaction and consistency. That is my opinion from my experience.

"let me say, that i support both companies."

That's fair.

"i have never received a higher grades from psa in crossing sgc's cards.
how do you explain that?"

Did you crack them out first? If so, then it would appear that SGC grades less stringently. But that has never been my concern. I am more concerned about consistency, and I know what an SGC 60 will look like when I get a close look at it. I never know whether a PSA 5 will be crease free. I've held too many that aren't.

"i'm not trying to pick a fight here, paul, but i do think it's about time we learn about what is motivating you to keep the relentless psa bashing going."

I just really dislike the PSA product. I think it is inferior and untrustworthy. I prefer SGC and have most of my best cards and my T206 collection graded by SGC. I would like SGC to take over market share. That would be good for my collection. But it would also be very good for the hobby.