View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default ??? Trimmed cards

Posted By: T206Collector

In one of my earlier posts, I stated as follows: "The information I learned on this board years ago before I began investing thousands of dollars into vintage cards caused me to want to collect hundreds of SGC 40's 50's and 60's, rather than 10 to 20 SGC 80's and higher. Cards with light corner wear, evenly distributed on each of the four corners, give me a tremendous amount of comfort that a card has not been altered so as to fit it into a slab and sell it for thousands of dollars.

When I see a PSA/SGC/GAI 7 or higher T206 card, I can't help but wonder if it is one of those well done hack jobs. That is a concern that I'd rather not have to deal with every time I would hand over thousands of dollars for a high grade Unglaub card."

This shows that I will stay away from high graded SGC cards, too.

That being said -- my original graded T206 collection was PSA graded. I had 40 PSA graded T206 cards before crossing them over to SGC. They are still on the PSA set registry, by the way. They were in grades ranging from 3 to 6. When I decided that I did not want PSA to be handling my cards anymore, I brought them all to the Hofstra show last year. SGC was only able to cross 30 of the 40 cards over. Of the 10 remaning, 1 had evidence of trimming (which I always suspected) and the other 9 were overgraded because of creasing -- in some instances, I had not noticed the creasing until SGC circled the plastic baggy holding the card around where the crease was.

One of my favorite cards was a PSA 6 Hal Chase. That one came back as could not even grade a 5 because of a corner crease that I had never noticed (or perhaps had ignored). Also, the more recent PSA 5's I bought on ebay were among those represented in the can't crossover list.

It is my theory that there are tons of these PSA cards floating around with problems that just get dumped on ebay because no one is going to be stupid enough to cross over a card and get a lesser grade when so much money is at stake. If PSA had a policy of purchasing these cards back, then there would not be much risk. But alas, only SGC has that policy. That is why you will perpetually see more mistakes residing in PSA holders than in SGC holders. That is, of course, my opinion based on my own experiences.

Edited to add that I have never seen an SGC 60 with a crease -- and I have quite a few of them.