View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Thanks Shawn

Shawn, Very good digging...quite insightful Kelly only played a few games with the Delawares and apparently didn't like the geographical area or social environment...as he didn't say exactly what he didn't care for:
"At the opening of the ball season that year I played several games with the Port Jervis team. I didn't care very much for the place, and jumped at an offer to go to the Buckeye club, with Jim McCormick for my pitcher."

I got an interesting email from Bob Mayer of N.Y. state, who is quiet a baseball researcher. I learned the Delawares team existed by at least 1866. Quote from Bob's email below:
"The Delawares of Port Jervis were an opponent of a team I did some research on a few years ago. The team was already organized by 1866 and was the first team the Wallkills of Middletown played that year. PJ won the first game and the Wallkills won the second. In the early 1880's Fred Nyce who later played some in the Minors pitched for the Delawares"