View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Overhyped my ass. What's the definition of that anyway, pray tell?
I'd start with all the hype declaring this his rookie card. Even people in this thread think it's his rookie. The 52 Mantle is riding on the wave of the 52 Topps set being iconic, not that the 52 Mantle itself is iconic.

Quote:
And who are you to determine what's a "value" or "better" for another's money? I could buy a 52 Topps Mick today, and if I've gotten enjoyment and happiness for my money, that's "value" to me.
It's funny how people get so emotionally wrapped up in other people's internet forum opinions. If you like the 52 Mantle, well good for you. Not everyone sees the same value in that.

Quote:
It's also specious to pit his 51 against his 52 as if they're locked in some asinine competition. They are both fantastic baseball cards, and I'd venture the collector who likes one likes the other.
It makes perfect sense to compare the two when half of the baseball card world thinks the 52 Topps is Mantle's rookie card. But, if we're just talking about random Mantle cards and not his rookie, heck, the 53 Bowman is a better card than the 52 Topps.