View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default 95 yr old mystery solved - Nadja origins

Posted By: leon

Since there started out to be such an underwhelming show of knowledge in the E98 origins thread I figure I would throw something a little more concrete out. Also, before I get going I want to thank T-Rex for helping a brother out on that thread. It usually just takes someone to say "anything" to get the ball rolling. I sure wish all of the lurkers that read the board would contribute a little more too. Oh well, wish in one hand......ya'll know the rest. At any rate a friend recently showed me something, that I ended up buying, that I believe will enlighten us on where the Nadja E92/E104 cards originated. After I saw this I contacted a few folks, including Pete C. to see what they/he knew, specifically. When I asked the question where the "Nadja Caramel Co." terminology came from the response(s) were: " I assumed "....which, although a good assumption that I don't think is true now, was exactly what I wanted to hear. No empirical evidence. Well, my fine feathered friends.....here is evidence where Nadja's came from. I should physically have this today or tomorrow but wanted to go ahead and show it (knock on wood). It is marked Patented Jan.1890, No. 20426 inside lid. There is still a paper label on the bottom marked Packed by No. 3 and it is stamped Sept. 27, 1906. It is a few years earlier than our cards but there is little doubt, in my mind, where Nadja's came from, now. Blanke-Wenneker Candy Company, St.Louis, MO.....