View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
There is no obvious rhyme or reason why they do what they do. They claim to only grade items that are listed in a major price guide (Becket or Standard Catalog). How they "think" they can tell the difference between 66-67-68 autograph cards - I don't know - I can't (They don't even have a 1966 graded - or did they mislabel another year?). The fact that they do accept some but do not accept or recognize ALL of the Jay publishing and team issues as identified above - I don't know. Just requested they grade the '56 - they refused. They grade some variations and stupid things like the mini cutouts from the Transogram box, but don't grade other legitimate variations like the 180 back Salada or the wide border 69 Nabisco flakes.
Read the forums for a little while and you will see the general consensus on consistency of their qualitative grading as well. I've gotten stuff back from them and just shake my head sometimes - items that are solid nrmt - come back with a 4-5 grade.
For selling - they are a necessary "evil". For collecting they are a choice - I chose to work on a registry set because I got bored with so little to look for. I am not looking to get 100% complete on it. I have complete bazooka boxes from every year (but 1960) - I don't care about the panels (except 71 numbered) or singles. I will not even send in my 68 or 71 boxes as PSA will bend a flap to fit into their holder!!
Why they do what they do? Because people like me keep sending them money to do it

Thanks for all the great info Howard. It is a little confusing between the Jay Photos and team issued B&Ws.

Day 231

1968 Topps Managner's Dream...I really like this card, I wish Roberto appeared on more multi-player cards.

Last edited by docpatlv; 08-18-2018 at 02:43 PM.