View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
There's a different way of looking at this. To be sure, Frank's '66 Topps is a bummer; he was traded by Cincy and Topps was ill-equipped at this time to create a right proper card with a happy Frank in his new Oriole uniform.

For many years, I've favored the card a company made of a star the following year after a noteworthy season. In essence, this card celebrates the player's achievement, and the brief write-up talks about it. Topps often made sure a superior photo was selected, and presented very well. This was so true of Frank's 1967 Topps card, and Topps gave it the significant number of 100. As you probably know, Topps reserved numbers ending in "00" for the best players of the previous year, with those ending in "50" right behind. There were a few exceptions. I thought the 1966 Sandy Koufax was awful, even for a portrait.

Anyway, I think you'll feel great when you hold a high-grade Topps 1967 Frank Robinson in your hand. Better yet, how about a 1967 Coca-Cola Premium as printed by Dexter Press? This fabulous over-sized piece is the piece de resistance when it comes to Frank's Oriole items. You'll want to use both hands to hold it, but when you see the finest portrait of a radiant Robinson smiling at you, your heart will melt. At that time, all was right with the world and Frank. Coca-Cola issued an All-Star series of each league, with the same picture used of Frank. This happenstance makes the card easier to get, for that particular one is not as scarce, but just as beautiful.

Happy collecting, mate. --- Brian Powell
It works either way for me--'66 or '67. Of course, if you want a really tough one, seek out the '56 Kahn's rookie!

I've got Mickey Mantle's tougher Grape Nuts version of his '62 Post Canadian Cereal, with his 1961 stats on it (54 HR, 128 RBI, .317 BA) and like to think of it as representing and memorializing that terrific year (which was just his third best season, by the way).

Hope your collecting is glorious!

Larry