View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
It works either way for me--'66 or '67. Of course, if you want a really tough one, seek out the '56 Kahn's rookie!

I've got Mickey Mantle's tougher Grape Nuts version of his '62 Post Canadian Cereal, with his 1961 stats on it (54 HR, 128 RBI, .317 BA) and like to think of it as representing and memorializing that terrific year (which was just his third best season, by the way).

Hope your collecting is glorious!

Larry
Hi Larry! There's always gonna be a tougher card of a player here and there. I was just trying to stick with 1967 as a celebratory year of Frank's triple crown season. To be sure, a Kahn's from that era is brutally tough, for the leftover cards did not find their way to any of the few dealers back then, it seems. Whereas, by the mid-60s, Wholesale Cards Co. had them available for a price several dollars above a full set of Topps regular cards, which was always a yardstick for me to interpret how valuable an older set was at the time (for me, late 60s / 1970). I have a superb story in my book on immediate post-war regional / food cards of how a collector / dealer stock-piled SETS of an early 60s Kahn's football issue! Enthralling!

You're quite right in citing the Post Cereal as classic examples of paying meaningful tribute to the previous season. Way da go, Larry, that Post Canadian is one tough Mick! Take care. --- Brian Powell