View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Great Sign!!!

What a great sign, congrats Bob...If it were me I'd want to get it fixed as the lower damaged area is glaring...I think the right restorer who "gets it" could approach it from a two point aspect...one to restore just the worst parts and leave everything else alone...then two, after it's fixed go back and fatigue it to match the rest of the sign...It's such a great piece you'd want to seek out the right restorer.

Many years ago I bought the sign below made of cardstock and it was a little damaged here and there...I took it to Chuck Kovacic in North Hills CA, near Los Angeles...I didn't know it till Chuck told me there was originally a three dimensional back part that folded out from the kids about an inch and a half...that is, the yellow fence with the soda jerk holding the tray...It was gone...I just had the kids...Chuck said he could fix just the kids for $450.00 or he could recreate the back part for $700.00 too...since he had a photo of one. I said do it all for the $700.00...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I came to pick it up I was taken back it looked so good...Without me even asking he fatigued the newly created back part to match the rest of the sign...I've heard from others Chuck is even better with tin signs than paper like mine. Chuck is the coolest guy...very jovial...I usually see him at the Glendale show...his real job is as a stand in actor...walk on characters...mostly for T.V. shows shot there in L.A. I think...I ask him what shows he's been in...and he usually names a few of late...Let me know if you need his phone.

ADDENDA
I just learned Chuck has a website...As I recall when I had that sign fixed the whole internet was just getting going
http://www.chuckkovacicarts.com/Art/Bio_Art.asp

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.