View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
More so than with the Jordans, unless unbeknownst to me few Drums were produced for the express purpose of creating a collectible in short supply. To me, limited production modern insert cards are all artificially scarce.
This is where I have been for all my adult years of collecting. I prefer something that is rare because it's evolved that way over time, and we really don't know how many there are. Bottom line for me is I cannot go into the local 7-11 and hope to find anything I'd enjoy.
Production limits to create scarcity don't do anything for me. Bradford Exchange plates come to mind from back when I got back into collecting. It didn't make sense to me then, and it still doesn't today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Exactly
I collect both
Just recently jumped into the modern market - which is bigger than most realize
I have to buy into this. While there are not a lot of card shows around here, whenever I go to one I am always amazed at how much “shiny stuff” there is, and how little vintage there is. And it’s not just kids buying the shiny stuff. I really don’t even look at those tables, but those guys must be moving product because they are always back.
As my wife says to me when we disagree on something we might discuss, “It’s not right or wrong, it’s just different.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
did someone say Acuna!
Here’s another reason I’m not much into modern stuff. You cannot read their signatures. I’ve posted about this pet peeve many of mine times in the Autograph section of this forum.
Again, it’s not right or wrong, it’s just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I find it humorous how bunches of modern collectors are coming here on a strictly vintage site trying to tell us what we should think. Kind of like how people go on missionary trip to the Middle East trying to sell Christianity it usually does not end well For them!
I had to add this. It just made me laugh!!! Well done Pete.