View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Default Which Play Ball set is your favorite, and which one is your least favorite?

Thought I would inquire on the Play Ball issues and find out what are people's favorite and least favorite among the three sets.

For me the favorite is 1941, as not only is it in color and has its own distinctive look from the other color gum issues of the 1930's, but also because of its smaller size of the set and ease of going after a complete set, with a couple of high dollar cards (Dimaggio and Williams) to add to its stature but not make it a complete money drain.

My least favorite is the 1940 set, as the washed out look and the just a little too ornate borders never have grabbed me, and I dislike all the former stars in it (Joe Jackson, Walter Johnson, etc.) that were way past their playing careers, and because of this they always felt a little like the early 1960's Fleer All-time Greats sets to me. And it adds a lot of money to pursuing a set.

For my taste I like the great photos and simple design of the 1939 Play Ball set, but the addition of the player's name on the front (perhaps as seen in the 1933 Goudey set) would have been a great addition.

How would you rank them, or perhaps you dislike them all? Feel free to respond as well with how you would rank them.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-16-2019 at 10:32 AM.