View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
I started a thread about the Namath card too: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204243

Not that I look to this hobby for income, but if I ever bought a card for 16K, it would probably drop in value - someone might be getting a huge return here...

I wonder if when the TPGs started anyone anticipated... I don't know what to call it - it's kind of a "contrived scarcity". In theory a card that isn't really scarce at all could sell at a huge multiple as long as its the highest graded or among the highest graded. it reminds me a little of the Dmitri Young collection - I don't know the exact figures, but I recall reading some of those cards were around $100 in the PSA 8 grade (which is a pretty good grade), but his 10s sold for a heck of a lot more.
A few of the key late 70s and early 80s RCS fall into this category. Brett, Yount, Ozzie Smith, Rickey Henderson, Rice, Montana etc. 8s worth a couple hundred. 10s worth 10-30k depending on the card. Contrived or not people are willing to step up when the population is low.