View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
The only problem with this thinking is the fact that Ortiz wouldn't even be the most famous Boston BASEBALL player... With that honour completely owned by Williams. As previously mentioned, the Boston Globe poll found Orr to be even more popular than Williams. And while both Ortiz and Brady are arguably more popular now due to their contemporary careers... as time passes, their stars will fade somewhat. On the other hand, Orr's legacy is completely cemented in Beantown for generations to come.
I don't think there's a problem at all, most famous or most popular, I'd be willing to bet that David Ortiz tops Ted Williams for Boston baseball players in a hypothetical poll conducted today. That isn't to say that Ortiz was a better baseball player, just that people would rank Ortiz higher in popularity or fame.

And I don't get why the careers of Brady and Ortiz, one which recently ended and the other which is still going, would fade somewhat while Orr's is completely cemented. Both careers of Brady and Ortiz are hardened more than cement, they've been diamonded (if that's a word). One is considered a candidate for GOAT QB who has more rings than any other player, the other broke the silly "Curse of the Bambino," while serving as the face of Boston's more popular franchise.

No doubt the hockey fanatics in Boston adore Orr, as do I. But the Sox have historically been more popular, with the Patriots currently running in lead as the most popular Boston sports team in recent years (here's a recent poll to support that: http://www.salemnews.com/who-is-your...fd93802d4.html). Combine the popularity of the Sox with Ortiz's role on the team, his media-friendly personality, the era that he played in (24-hour news cycle), the Boston Marathon speech and recency bias (Orr last took the ice for the Bruins more than 40 years ago and the poll listing him above Williams was taken around that time), I don't think it would be even close today between Ortiz and Orr.

The great part is that there is a debate, as these players are all incredible Boston icons and also icons in their respective sports.