Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I just got back from Gothenburg, Sweden where I attended the 22nd World Olympics Collectors Fair. I picked up quite a few original press photos for my archives. Many of the European press photos from the 1940's to the 1960's are smaller than ours, mostly about 5 1/2 x 7 1/2, and very nice quality. Also not too tough to make choices when they were 1 euro each (about $1.22). I also picked up some nice autographed items.

1. Jesse Owens signed program from 1936. Signed in England while the Olympics were still happening in Berlin.

2. Original press photo from the 1956 Olympics signed by Laszlo Papp. This is the gold medal match where he defeated fellow Boxing HOFer Jose Torres.

3. 8x10 original press photo signed by Floyd Patterson. Personalized to the person I purchased it from. It says Christie, but his name is Christer.

4. 1961 Boxing writers dinner program signed by Floyd Patterson, Paul Pender, Billy Graham and Abe Attell (of 1919 Black Sox fame) on the front and Corp. Izzy Schwartz, Archie Moore, Tony Galento, Billy Soose, Barney Ross, Willie Pep, Tommy Loughran, Gus Lesnevich, Ben Jeby, Frankie Genaro, Sixto Escobar, Freddie 'Red' Cochrane, Paul Berlenbach and Lou Salica on the back. A little damage near Patterson's signature, but still a deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owens,-Jesse-(1936)---1redo.jpg (56.4 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg papp.jpg (19.7 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg patterson.jpg (44.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg boxing-1.jpg (59.4 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg boxing-2.jpg (49.3 KB, 366 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 05-20-2016 at 09:11 PM.