View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default I can't hold it in anymore ...... A NEW HOBBY DISCOVERY - Don F of SCD please help

Posted By: Scott Levy

Gentlemen .. and Ladies,

I have spent the last several years diligently collecting and monitoring the T205 Christy Mathewson card and there is a very significant variation on this card that only occurs (to the best of my knowledge) on the cycle brand.

His stats listed on the back typically say:

GW GL PC F
1908 37 11 .771 .988
1909 25 6 .806 .966
1910 27 9 .750 .969

HOWEVER ON THE CYCLE BACK THE FIRST LINE READS
GW GL PC F
1908 37 1 .771 .988

The print run omits the second '1'. I have literally looked at hundreds if not thousands of T205 Mathewson cards and while I have never seen a broadleaf back, a hindu, or a drum, I can assure everyone that no other brands have this error at least in all the cards I have seen.

I am guessing that all cycle backs have this error....but since I've only seen about 14 of them over the years I cannot say with certainty.

I'd love to know if anyone else has a T205 cycle mathewson and if it indeed has the same error. Also if you're looking to sell it, I'd be very interested in hearing from you!! Heck I'll even start the bidding at double the SMR -- at least until I run out of cash

Wow, that was a mouthful. I'd be happy to get other's thoughts/impressions but in my opinion this is a key discovery to the T205 series on a top ranked HOFer!

edited title for some help (leon)