Thread: Jim Thorpe
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Here is my favorite piece and most likely earliest know Jim Thorpe item. I consider it the cornerstone of my collection. When he enrolled in Carlisle he received government issued items..this is his writing tablet. I’ve seen his wool blanket many years ago and missed it by less that 30 seconds. The owner had taken it down and said a biographer of Thorpe’s had bought it over the phone and was on his way from North Carolina to get it. I got it from a guy who’s grandfather ran a trading post turned into pawn shop and he was the heir to all the stuff left in warehouses. He had Jesse James, Cole Younger and Wyatt Earp estate items that those families had pawned. I have a copy of the pawn ticket(somewhere) and Roger Neufeldt (whom a lot of you probably know) from here in Oklahoma verified it’s authenticity as he has one and knows Thorpe family members. The 2nd photo is of Thorpe’s enrollment information off of Carlisle’s archive. Notice 878 that was assigned to him in 1904 then crossed through and then after he left and came back he was given a new number.

w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk