View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiedog View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the major auction houses ask about the ball to be featured in one of their auctions. I think it's the type of item that can show some real interest with the super high end collectors. I can't remember ever seeing a pre 1951 Mantle ball.
Wow, I guess I'd always figured more of these had survived since it was not all that long ago, but now am realizing how uncommon these pre 1951 Mantle sigs are. I received a link to a Miners team signed ball (thanks Andrew) that sold for about $21K back in 2007. Aside from that, I can't find another verifiable/dated minor league Mantle ball. There was a really nice autographed team photo that sold about a year ago in I think Legendary, and there's reference on line to an Independence signed ball, but aside from that I found nothing.

My dad's ball is a little different than the other signed balls. I looked up all the other players, and all are Enid Giants. I'll have to ask my dad about how he gathered them all... now think he maybe got the other Enid players throughout the season, then went to the Miners game specifically to see Mantle and get his autograph when he came to town... rather than getting all sigs at once. This being said, many of the Enid players only played there for a year or two, and it would seem all their sigs combined with Mantle's younger style sig would still pretty firmly date the ball, same as if signed by other Miners.

This being said, I have no idea why I'm trying to explain how to "date" this ball?!?! All I need to know is--- my dad got it from Mantle in person at an Enid Giants game in 1950, and I'm never selling it.. nuff said!!