View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think Doug has read me wrong as much as I have him. I also very much appreciate the civil discussions on this, it is wonderful that we can all have differing opinions and not be silly about it.

In all honesty, I have NEVER submitted a card to a grading service. Talked about doing it, but never got around to it. Not to say that I certainly might in the future someday, but I too feel that the values for subjective grades are way overblown. Also, I would rather get more cards than pay for grading with my money.

Here's where we differ though. If I am at a show or buying a card I can handle in person, I trust my skills and will buy raw in a second. Admittedly most of my collection is raw cards. However, when buying via the net or auction I admit I prefer a graded card. I can normally easily spot a fake, but the trimming is too prevalent and I have just gotten pissed off at card doctors. The annoyance of returning a card or finding out later due to laziness is draining. I like the partial safety net, whether or not it is 100%.

I also know that if I want top dollar for my cards at resale if I choose to liquidate, I will need to grade them or face a heavy fiscal punishment...that's life. I buy raw cards to save money because they sell lower. The fraudsters and card trimmers have made the hobby what it is today...paranoid.

If you want to take a stance or statement on grading it's fine with me, just realize the importance it has come to play in the hobby and how much damage to our collections it could do if that system collapses and those collectors that hope for that security, no matter how tenuous, drop out of the buying pool.

If someone wants to measure the current importance of grading in investment cards, I ask them to break out a high grade card (52 mick, 1916 ruth) and sell it raw as a statement to put their money where their mouth is. I will wager it will have a hard time selling at half its graded counterparts.

I can certainly hate the way the current is going, but it's a bitch to paddle against it.

When graders get it wrong we all get up in arms, but hell, the only two things I know are always 100% are death and taxes. I'll take the better odds on anything any day, especially if all I am looking at is a possibly photoshopped scan from 1200 miles away.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.