View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

"PWCC getting 30-40% more than any other auction house" ?

I must have missed that. Sure, there are many instance on PWCC where stuff seems run up very oddly, but on high end stuff I never saw them getting consistently any higher prices than REA or Heritage or even Goldin. In many many cases I've watched over the years PWCC is lower. The slick catalogs and write ups clearly drive lots of people to these top tier AHs who ordinarily might not be speculating in cards. One spot for Goldin on CNBC Power Lunch probably equates to 100 new rich guy bidders on Wall Street. If one has a real high end vintage card, you'd be nuts to sell that with PWCC.

PWCC might seem higher of course as they don't tack on a 22-25% vig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Bob View Post
To me, it all goes into the old adage “if it seems to be too good to be true, it is”. PWCC getting 30-40% more than any other auction house always seemed very suspicious to me, so I steered clear of them for the most part. If I later find that I was shilled and lost some money then shame on me.

I also always despised PSA because their grading was IMO terribly inconsistent. I always stuck with SGC, whose grading was way more predictable and consistent. Not perfect, mind you, but seemed more honest to me.

I still love collecting but I guard against fraud at every turn. People being people, and with the current mindset in this country being grab for whatever you can get no matter what the collateral damage to other people, other countries, the environment, etc, I am extraordinarily careful.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.