View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Who signed the first secretarial or clubhouse signature?

1-Jesse 3.jpg

Twenty-five years ago i visited Cooperstown and portrayed myself as a descendant of Jess Burkett. They granted me access, as a relative to the HOF library. They brought out the Burkett file for my review. Honestly there wasn't much in it. They did allow me to xerox a copy of several items however.

The letter above was one of the items I copied. The letter itself is a copy as the original that is in the Hermann file. It appears to be handwritten and in the same hand as the signature, but what do I know.

The question I raise is that of the history of secretarial and/or clubhouse autographs. When did these practices begin? Was anybody besieging Burkett with autograph requests during his time in Worcester following his playing career.

1-Burkett Trimmed.jpg

He also returned as a coach of the Giants in 1921. Was he besieged by autograph requests upon returning to New York?

I don't expect anyone knows for sure, but when did this form of signature (by other than the name signed) enter the baseball autograph market?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-15-2019 at 01:25 PM.