View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default My Rock Book

Hi Bruce,

I have this book called "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock" published in 1976 and authored by two writers from NME - New Musical Express, the British rock newspaper. Every signature has been obtained in person by me with only two signatures not signed directly in front of me. One person signed on their tour bus, which is their standard way. One person was obtained very early on by a friend that worked for his crew. I never say which two as it is not important as they are both genuine. I started getting it signed in 1979 when I was a poor college student. I brought it to an in store signing for Iggy Pop. His guitar player was was standing there and he was a member of legendary punk band The Damned - Brian James. He was number one. Iggy was number two. There are currently about 450 signatures in the book. There are plenty more I can add. The beauty of the book is not the big names, but all of the lesser known bands that have signed it. Some people I have gotten other items signed over the book but for the last 10 years or so the book has been primary over all other items. I have a database of when and where every person signed it. As I was not thinking about it early on I am missing some dates, but still knew most of the places once I started keeping a log. Would I sell it? Yes, for the right price. It is just an item. The memories are more than the book. 'Things exist whether we own them or not" - Chairman Mao.

The scans for many of them are too large to show (Ramones, Yes, Ten Years After, Genesis, Four Tops, The Jam, Rod Stewart). But here are a few more items.
Carly Simon
Robin Trower
Cher
Gene Clarke - The Byrds deceased
Link Wray - deceased. The day I got it was the only concert he did in the U.S. that year and his last U.S. appearance.
Frank Zappa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simon carly.jpg (82.7 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg trower.jpg (84.0 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg cher.jpg (86.2 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg clarke.jpg (75.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg wray.jpg (89.1 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg zappa.jpg (78.2 KB, 309 views)