View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Here you go. Have at it.

My 2 cents...

Pettitte doesn't hold a flame to the other 2. His legacy will always be tainted by his PED usage, and his W/L record was inflated by the teams he played on. He posted a 4+ ERA in 9 of his 18 seasons. He posted above a 3.50 ERA in an additional 4 seasons.

By comparison, Halladay only posted a 3.50+ ERA 6 times, 2 of which were anomalies in 2000 (10.64; also only his 2nd full season in the big leagues) and 2013 (6.82; his last season).

Ryan is an entirely different animal, holding records that will probably never be broken.

Halladay was one of the best pitchers I've ever seen.
Being the best pitcher you ever saw on a particular day is one thing but doesnt mean anything when looking at a career.

Petitte had 2 more seasons to put up bad seasons versus Roy yet Roy still had the worst two seasons between the two pitchers. The 10.64 era was in 13 starts and he was sent down to the minors. I would think if someone saw him pitch one of those games that year they would say he was the worst pitcher they have ever seen.

Again, that wouldnt mean anything in regards to what kind of pitcher he was in his career. Just to say he was the best/worst pitcher ever seen doesnt mean much unless you watched all of their starts etc. Perhaps you did.

There are lots of pitchers on great teams that dont win. You cant punish him for winning.

Nolan Ryan won over 300 games and is in the HOF.....counting stats mater. There are plenty of pitchers in the HOF that if you took away 50 wins (pretend they were on bad teams so lost out all those wins) they arent in the HOF....wins matter...and Roy only has 203 of them with little postseason record to look at to address that deficiency.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2017 at 12:44 PM.