View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Larry

I have frequently wondered if he consciously sought to emulate Rob Deer (230 lifetime homers; .220 lifetime BA in 11 years, plus what were then a ton of strikeouts). His development into this kind of player is probably the only possible thing that could have happened, given the fact that he is a big, strong guy whose swing begins in Mexico City and ends in Montreal. Personally I prefer rallies. The issue is most definitely NOT as the these kinds of players often try to frame it: a strikeout is just the same as any other out. That is a completely erroneous premise, as the issue is striking out, with its' ensuing .000 batting average, versus putting the ball in play, which carries on average a .300 batting average plus the possibility of getting on base via the error route.

Personally, I have grown tired of the ever-increasing frequency of the 3 "true outcomes"--a walk, strikeout, or homerun. I much prefer rallies coming from putting the ball in play, and stringing a series of hits together, with a sac fly thrown in here and there. Learning to approach the at bat, especially with a two-strike count, by attempting to just line the ball where it is pitched, is the key to that. To me, that's baseball. If you can only hit 40 homers by hitting .208 or so and striking out 200+ times, the game is telling you you are not really a homerun hitter. Going purely by recollection, even Harmon Killebrew's lifetime batting average was .256, and he hit 40 or more homers 8X.

Just my personal preference as a kid following the game and growing up in the '60's.

Sincerely,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-29-2018 at 10:37 PM.