View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Bill Gregory

Imagine coming to the plate, and knowing that the Orioles had Gold Glovers at third, short, second-Davey Johnson then Bobby Grich, center and on the mound, if it was Palmer. You'd better pull that ball to the right or hit it out of the park, because if the ball goes anywhere else, it's going to be an out.

I think that Belanger, knowing he had the human vacuum to his right, was able to take chances he normally wouldn't dream of taking.

As far as a shortstop-third base combo, maybe Mike Schmidt and Larry Bowa. Add in Manny Trillo at second, and that's a pretty tight infield. Anybody with Schmidt was going to be good though, or at least better because of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Those are great, Frank!

Bill- I wonder how much of an effect having Brooks to his right had on Belanger...did he feel like he could take chances that other might not? What kind of effect did Belanger have on Brooks' attitude and positioning?

I can't think of another SS-3B combo who were anywhere near them defensively. It just had to help knowing that you had someone next to you like that.

Along with Blair in CF, Boog must have gotten the lion's share of Boots.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.