View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Thanks Bob. That is what I figured but in most instances, the auction company directly indicates what state(s) are affected in their auction information. They kind of leave you scratching your head in this case.

Rob M
In this case the auction house is probably putting out that general rule to try and cover whatever gives them the most protection and are not going into the specifics for each and every state, which could be unbelievably long and detailed to try and cover every possible instance or issue involving sales tax as the rules vary from state to state. In other words, it is a CYA (Cover Your A$$) thing and intentionally somewhat vague and unspecific so it doesn't lock them into something they can't get out of or around later on. As I noted, that particular clause I think is more for those instances where someone buys something from them in a state where they do have to collect sales tax and there is an issue with the buyer in trying claim they are sales tax exempt or how they go about getting out of that liability. You're correct though in that they don't come right out up front and say to everyone which exact states they have to collect sales tax for. Probably can't blame them as that issue seems to get some people riled up about having to pay more than others for something, and somehow the auction house gets some/all of the blame. Like its their fault they have to collect sales tax or that there is something they can do about it.