View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Mi.ke Fost.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
To be quite frank, if what you say is true, and you are really interested in becoming a collector of these relatively high-end pieces, then the amount of work you have to do is staggering. You show some of the worst, most blatant forgeries--balls that even a relative newcomer wouldn't give more than a glance before dismissing--and then pat yourself on the back because after much soul-searching you didn't buy them.

No one here can provide the education you so sorely need. Start by looking at old auction catalogs from reputable houses, and see how Ruth/Gehrig signatures actually look. Look at the Heritage Auction archives. Look at--and study--as many as you can. And spend time--a lot of time--doing so.

Then you might be ready to begin to talk to the people here.
Not sure I agree with your assessment entirely. In each instance I thought the sigs were fake, although not "convinced". At some point, you weren't as experienced as you are now, so all I ask for is some patience. I have some old books from Hunt and Heritage still around, although not many as my wife tends to pitch them. One that i do have is the original books from the Halper Sotheby's auction in '99. Question for you and others, was all or most of Halper's stuff fake or mainly the late 19th century to early '20s jerseys and reported stolen merchandise (DiMaggio rings, papers from NYPL and Boston) about which so much has been written?