View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Dean

Default Old School vs New School

In the Mets finale this afternoon Jose Reyes (battling Ryan Braun for a batting title) took himself out of the game after leading off with a bunt single.

From espn.com:

Quote:
Reyes, in the lead for the National League batting crown, delivered a bunt single to lead off the bottom of the first inning of the Mets' 3-0 win over the Reds. He then was pulled as New York Mets manager Terry Collins adhered to the shortstop's request to be removed if he singled.
I immediately thought of what The Splendid Splinter did when he was pursuing .400 so many years ago. So did espn:

Quote:
The decision to pull Reyes comes on the 70th anniversary of Ted Williams deciding to play in a doubleheader on the final day of the regular season in 1941 even though his .39955 average would have been rounded up to .400.

"If I'm going to be a .400 hitter, I'm going to be a .400 hitter all the way," Williams was quoted as saying at the time.

Williams went 6-for-8 in the twin bill to up his average to .406.
I know there are two sides to this, but I find it completely lame when a big leaguer pulls crap like this. Play the damn game. I really hope Braun kills it tonight and wins the crown anyway. Not much chance that Reyes picks up the nickname "Jose Ballgame" any time soon...

my eBay auctions