View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

i think it is because only one had been known, then 2, now 8 or 9 so. that's too many for the very few boxing card collectors with that much coin to afford a card like that. If it was still only 2 known in the hobby, then maybe someone would think that it was a chance of a lifetime to own one. now that person can wait as there are several and more chances to get one and the mystique of owning one has went down now that there are more available. when there were only 2, it had cache. my friend lyle whiteman used to have one of the two and he was proud of it for sure but thats when they went for 10 grand a card and that was considered a huge price, even for a graziano that was one of two at the time.

now one of 8 or 9 goes for 15 or 20 grand and its a disappointment. well, the qty increased 4 times and the price increased by 2 times when maybe the price should have went down instead. it still went up though from those older days and if there are 10 more that come into the hobby, you can't keep expecting the price to climb to 30 k or 40 k. its not like baseball where 75 honus wagners is considered super rare and worth 200,000 for a poor example. that's because baseball has a much, much, much bigger collecting base. boxing is a lot smaller and 8 or 9 pop might be rare, but not as rare as 2 as it used to be. i think collectors are scared to pay 30 grand only to find 5 or 8 more of these pop up in the near future.

everyone has heard of wagner, no one outside of boxing card collectors knows of the rare graziano. wagner is a legend, a mystery. graziano and the circumstances surrounding this card is basically unknown outside of boxing collecting circles.

Last edited by travrosty; 11-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.