Thread: Shipping
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Shipping

Hi, I know many of the people on this forum sell baseball cards. Here is a tip for saving some money when you ship one ungraded card. This won't work for graded cards. It also won't work for more than one card because more than one card will cause the package to become more than 1/4" thick, which makes it a parcel.

Here we go:

For one ungraded card, here is how you do it. I buy a 6 x 8 photo mailer. They are cheap when you buy them in bulk. Because they are less than 6 1/8" high, they are letter sized. Since they are rigid, they become a non-machinable letter. The card and the photo mailer weigh slightly under 2 oz, so the pricing is 46 cents for the letter, 20 cents for the 2nd ounce, 20 cents for the non-machinable part, for a total of 86 cents.

The rules for these rigid photo mailers changed two years ago. Before that these would have been a parcel, and the rate would be $2.07. I have mailed hundreds of these in the past two years. I have been with the Postal Service for 30 years and a Postmaster since 1998. Look in section 101.1.1 of the Domestic Mail Manual.

Hope this saves you some bucks.

I have printed some small labels that I put under my return address so the clerks in other offices don't charge postage due. The labels say:

POSTMASTER: This mailpiece meets the physical standards for letters, as defined in Section 101.1.1 of the DMM. Thus, letter prices are applicable. Also, the nonmachinable surcharge is applicable and the relevant postage is affixed.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.