View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Todd Jenkins

Default 1st Card Show Experience - Not so good!

I remember my first card show experience very well, and it wasn't the greatest experience. It was just after I graduated college in the late 80's. I was walking from table to table when I came upon one table that had a lot of modern basketball. Michael Jordan in particular. A young man came up with a pile of vintage baseball, the good stuff, 50s and 60s Mantle, Mays, Aaron and the like. The boy in my best guess was probably 10 years old. He plopped the cards up on the table and told the dealer, "I would like to trade these for some basketball, especially Michael Jordan." I understood the value of the cards, even back then and I don't think the young man did! The dealer proceeded to tell the boy that that stuff was pretty old and he would have tough time moving them so he picked out the good ones and told him he would trade about ten star basketball for them, worth a couple of hundred bucks. I said, "Whoa, this is not right, his cards are worth thousands." I asked the young man if his Dad was around. The dealer proceeded to tell me, "Move on or I will call security!" I very quickly snapped back and said. "Go for it, we will see where this ends up! This is wrong!" I told the boy that he needs to find his Dad and he pointed him out to me. I promptly got the Dad and made him aware of the situation and told him he should be with his son when trading those cards and that they were worth thousands of dollars. The Dad told me the cards were given to the boy by his grandfather to trade for what he wanted. The father was very appreciative and the boy by the end of the day had some really cool stuff, but the event kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. All's well that ends well, thank God!!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 02-05-2016 at 07:36 AM.